Good Food Month is kicking off in Canberra with the Night Noodle Markets on Friday! The food and drink precinct is back again as part of the Enlighten Festival featuring Asian eats, from the traditional to the ultimate in fusion cuisine.
This year’s event is more mouthwatering than ever and cashless. So bring your plastic and your stretchy pants for some tasty eats.
Starting with the sweet stuff, some of the not-to-be-missed dishes this year include:
• Gelato Messina – “This year our stand looks like a giant gelato ‘jeepney’; the most popular means of public transportation ubiquitous in the Philippines. The dish to try is ‘Filopieno’ – Condensed milk gelato, fried pie crust, peach jellies, mango salsa, mango Chantilly and graham cracker crumb.”
• Waffleland – ‘Cheeky Monkey’, freshly baked waffle stick served with peanut butter and ice cream topped with fresh bananas, pretzels and drizzled with caramel syrup and wafer sticks.
• Wonderbao – ‘Nai Wong Bao’ – Sweet golden buttery egg custard.
Some of the not-to-be-missed savoury dishes this year include:
• Calabang – Crispy calamari and long potato fries.
• Chinese Burger Funky Tots (by Bao Brothers) –‘BBQ Pork Banh Mi Tater Tots’ with BBQ pork, carrot and daikon herb salad, crispy shallots and coriander.
• Chur Burger – ‘Pepper Pig’ (for the year of the pig!) with salt and pepper crispy pork belly, pickled slaw, chilli black bean mayo and pork cotton candy.
• Chur-Ken – ‘Straight outta Szechuan’ ‘Churken’ wings with Szechuan salt and pepper.
• Hoy Pinoy – ‘Lechon’ (suckling pig), chopped and served on rice with atchara and spiced vinegar; ‘Mais’ grilled corn with cheese sauce.
• Little Kyoto x Pho Real!?– ‘Phoritto’ pho in a burrito.
• Mr.Bao – ‘Gua Bao Trio’, crackling pork belly gua bao, karaage chicken gua bao and Korean beef gua bao.
• Okonomiyaki – ‘Teriyaki cheese steak fries’, chips with beef or chicken, cheese and Teriyaki sauce.
• Fusion Paella Del Mar – ‘Paella Bombay’, Caramelised chicken and calamari, Indian curry leaves, cardamom and cinnamon infusion, with brown rice topped with caramelised pineapple and shallots.
• POKLOL x Puffle –‘KFC Cheese Puffle’, Korean fried chicken stuffed inside a cone-shaped egg-filled cheese waffle, topped with Japanese mayo and shallots.
• @Roll up – ‘Peking Duck roti roll’ with Peking duck, mixed salad, cucumber, onion and homemade sauce.
Mouth watering yet? The Night Noodle Markets open this Friday (1 March) so don’t miss out!
Dates: 1 – 10 March
Weekdays from 5 pm
Weekends from 4 pm
Location: Reconciliation Place
Original Article published by Sophia Brady on the RiotACT.